Makes about 1,5 Litres
- 1 Kg of raw Chicken. You can use the whole chicken, chicken carcasses or bony joins (wings or drumsticks are best) but not visceras.
- 1,5 big Onions, peeled and chopped.
- 2 Celery stalks, washed and chopped.
- 1 Leek, cleaned and roughly chopped.
- 2 Carrots, peeled and chopped.
- 2 Garlic cloves, smahed.
- 2,5 L. cold Water.
- 1 dried Bay leave.
- 1 sprig of fresh Thyme.
- If we have a whole chicken we keep the breasts aside for another recipe.
- Wash the chicken to remove any blood from it as it would give a bitter taste, and cut the chicken in quarters.
- Put chicken into a large pan. Add cold water until it completely covers the chicken and bring to the boil.
- With a metal spoon, skim off any scum that rises to the surface.
- Place in it all the others ingredients and bring just to the boil, again.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 4 hours (or 1:30 hours in a pressure cooker).
- De-scum occasionally.
- Strain the stock though a fine mesh strainer and use or store as required.
- Separate the chicken meat from the bones to use it in other recipes (“Croquetas”, Soups, Pasta, Salads, Sandwiches,…)